Black Press Media’s central Alberta community newspapers took home several accolades from the 2022 Alberta Weekly Newspaper Association’s Better Newspapers Competition Awards on June 3.
The Wetaskiwin Pipestone Flyer received:
– Best Habitat Conversation story, third place, Shaela Dansereau;
– Excellence in Education Writing, second place, Shaela Dansereau;
– Honourable mention, best feature column, Shaela Dansereau and
– Third place for special section or supplement.
Ponoka News was awarded:
– Creative use of colour in advertising, second place, Jess Crandall;
– Best feature column, third place, Emily Jaycox;
– Second place, best editorial page in its circulation category and,
– Honorable mention, Human interest photo, Emily Jaycox.
The Rimbey Review earned:
– An honourable mention in the creative use of colour in advertising category;
– Second place for excellence in advertising, Alex Streicher, and
– Third place for best front page in its circulation category.
Sylvan Lake News is also bringing home a first place award in the excellence in advertising campaign category (Barb Pettie and Alex Streicher).