RCMP along with Paintearth County Peace Officers are advising the public to ensure their properties are secured and valuables removed from their vehicles.
The Coronation RCMP are requesting local residents within Paintearth County to follow simple steps for crime prevention, such as those outlined in the #9PMRoutine.
Getting in a daily routine of checking the security of your property can deter crime and protect your hard-earned belongings,
Most thefts are crimes of opportunity which means that the criminal is looking for unlocked vehicles or houses where they can easily steal property.
By removing valuables from vehicles and by locking cars and homes, we remove the easy opportunity and most criminals will then move on to easier pickings.
The #9PMRoutine recommends:
· Removing valuables from vehicles.
· Ensuring vehicles are locked, windows are closed and if possible, parked in a garage.
· Closing garage doors and windows.
· Locking all doors in the garage, including those leading into a house.
· Checking that all house doors – front, back, side and garage – are locked.
· Ensuring all windows are shut.
· Turning on an exterior light.
It’s 9 p.m. Are you locked up and secure for the night? Join the movement by using #9PMRoutine and following our social media accounts on Twitter (@RCMPAlberta) and Facebook (@RCMPinAlberta).
Coronation RCMP encourage citizens to report suspicious persons and vehicles to police. Contact the Coronation RCMP at 403-578-3666 or call your local police. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.