Skip to content

PHOTOS: Coronation Royals grounded by Hughenden Jets at the Beaverdome

The Coronation Royals were left grounded when the Hughenden Jets came calling in Castor on Nov. 24.

Both teams came to play. and both were fairly evenly matched through all three periods of play.

The Hughenden Jets got on the board halfway through the period when Braden Crone found the back of the net, assisted by Brady Johnson. The Jets increased their lead again with just under four minutes left with a goal by Ryley Johnson, assisted by Brennan Anholt.

After 20 minutes, the Jets were up 2-0, shots were 11-10 for the Royals and penalties were split one each between the two teams; Jets Blayd Anholt picked up a two-minute delay of game penalty with 49 seconds left, and Royal Carter Thorton was called for Hooking with just six seconds left in the frame.

Heading into the second period, Jet Logan Morrison got the scoring started just under five minutes in, assisted by Brady and Ryley Johnson before Coronation’s Captain, Matt Hanger, answered back with an assist by Mike Neumier just before the halfway mark. Brandyn Baird finished scoring in the period with a powerplay goal, assisted by Mitch Finkbiner and Mike Neumeier.

The score after 40 minutes was 3-2 for the Jets, with shots in the period 13-11 favouring the Jets. In the second period, penalties were again split, with Hughenden’s Tanner Sather getting called for roughing with around eight minutes left in the period, and Coronation’s Mike Neumier getting called for hooking with just under three minutes left in the period.

Both teams found their defensive footing in the third period; Brennan Anholt scored the only goal of the period, unassisted, in favour of the Jets with around 8:30 left in the period. Penalties in the third period were again split equally for each time in the third period, this time with four aside called.

The Jets were called for goaltender interference, tripping, and roughing while the Royals were charged with slashing, roughing, and charging.

After 60 minutes, the score was 4-2 for the Jets, with shots 31-29 also favouring the jets. Penalty minutes were tied at 12 minutes a side, with the Royals converting once on the manned advantage.

The Royals were back in action Dec 2, winning against the Delburn Outlaws.

Kevin Sabo

About the Author: Kevin Sabo

I’m Kevin Sabo. I’ve been a resident of the Castor area for the last 12 years and counting, first coming out here in my previous career as an EMT.
Read more